Regional play has concluded and the qualifiers for the 2023 National Match Championship have all been decided. The 10 teams that will compete for the NMP title at Bandon Dunes Oct. 26th – 29th are:
- Bill Detmar and David Ellis representing Boise Ranch GC in Boise, ID (Defending Champion)
- Tim Gregg and John Molinari representing Springfield GC in Fort MIll, NC (Winner, Springfield Qualifier)
- Jason Alexander and Justin Nunley, representing Boise Ranch GC in Boise ID (Winner, Boise Ranch Qualifier)
- Jordan Cassel and Lindsay Casto representing BanBury GC in Boise, ID (Sponsor’s Exemption)
- Joey Peterson and Anthony DiCato representing Bayonet & Black Horse in Monterey, CA (Winner, West Region #2 at WeKoPa)
- Tim Plummer and Brad Hartley representing Fort Mill GC in Fort Mill, NC (Winner, Fort Mill Qualifier)
- Tanner Meridith and Tyler Meridith representing Rustic Canyon in Moorpark, CA (Winner, West Region #1 at Rancho Mirage)
- Mike Murphy and Tim Quinn representing Springfield GC in Fort MIll, NC (Sponsor’s Exemption)
- Steve Wunderlich and Kevin Murray representing Pointe Royale Village in Branson, MO (2022 Barton Creek Raffle Winner)
- John Worden and Partner TBD, Wanderers from Los Gatos, CA (NMP Representatives)
When Does It Happen?
The Finals will begin on Wednesday, Oct 25th with check-in and a Welcome Reception. Matches begin Thursday morning and a Glow Ball/Lighted Green Closest to the Hole Contest will be held that evening. On Friday morning, the matches resume and will be followed by the Putting and Chipping Contest in the afternoon.
After more matches are contested beginning Saturday morning, a Glow Ball/Lighted Green & Fairway 4-hole event using holes 1, 2, 3 and 9 at Bandon Dunes will be held that evening. This event is important, as it will serve as a tiebreaker and determine match pairings. Finally, on Sunday, the final matches will be held to determine the National Match Play Champion for 2023. That will be followed Sunday evening with a buffet awards banquet and raffle drawings.
What’s At Stake?
In addition to earning the title of National Match Play Champion, the winner will also earn a spot to defend their title at Pinehurst in 2024. In addition, the club or course represented by the winning team will receive a $2,000 cash award. All final match winners will earn a stay & play weekend near their home course. And there will be plenty of raffle prizes for everyone, including a spot in the 2024 Finals!
So, with the matches set, we’ll tee off on October 26th to see who’s the top dog and the 2023 National Match Play Champion!
(Don’t forget, if you missed out on your chance to compete in 2023, you can still take your best shot to play for the National Match Play title in 2024 at Pinehurst. Grab a partner and be on the lookout for your chance to sign-up when entries open in early 2024!)